Kale, full of great vitamins and minerals, full of great benefits for your skin, eyes, and bones. Pomegranate is high in antioxidants, high in fibre, helping your immune system and digestion. This salad is a great feel good salad, light and zesty while still remaining fresh. With the extra goodness of the texture apple and almonds, this salad definitely has its appeal.
NOTE: Feel free to add:
- Diced Avocado for healthy fats, antioxidants and a vitamin E boost
- 1 tbsp walnuts for an omega 3 boost
- Chia, quinoa, feta and/or flaxseed for your extra protein boost
- 500 g Kale, washed and shredded with the stems removed
- 3 Spring Onions, finely sliced
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil/Flaxseed Oil
- 2 tbsp Sliced Almonds
- 1 Pomegranate
- tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional, add amount depending on your taste)
- Granny Smith Apple
- PREPARING THE KALE
Remove the stems from the Kale leaves, and wash well. At this stage, I like to dry them a little so the water doesn’t dilute the dressing. Shred the kale finely and place into a large bowl.
- MAKING THE DRESSING
Combine the pepper, salt, lemon juice, olive oil and cayenne pepper into a small bowl. Mix the ingredients well until combined.
- GIVE THE KALE SOME LOVIN’
Pour the dressing over the shredded kale and massage the leaves gently until the leaves slowly soften and wilt. The kale will become tender at this point.
- GETTING CREATIVE
Add the spring onion, pomegranate, sliced almonds and apple slices. Toss around the salad until well mixed and add or adjust flavours to suit your taste.
NOTE: Slightly roast the slight almonds until fragrant